What is the IB Diploma Program?
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program (DP) is a world-renowned comprehensive assessed course of study for students aged 16-19 (juniors and seniors). The IB DP encourages both personal and academic achievement, challenging students
to excel in their studies and in their personal development.
Why become an IB student?
The program aims to develop students who have excellent breadth and
depth of knowledge – students who flourish physically, intellectually,
emotionally and ethically.
- are encouraged to think independently and drive their own learning
- take part in programs of education that can lead them to some of the highest ranking universities around the world
- become more culturally aware, through the development of a second language
- are able to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
- take responsibility for their own learning and understand how knowledge itself is constructed
- ask challenging questions
- think critically
- develop research skills proven to help them in higher education and beyond
- are active in their communities and take their learning beyond academic study
What does it mean to be an IB World School?
In order to teach IB courses and offer the IB program, schools must take part in a rigorous application and authorization process. Teachers, administrators, and other staff are trained before schools can begin to implement the program. Every
school authorized to offer IB programs is known as an IB World
Lincoln High School was authorized in 2007, and is one of only 14 IB World Schools in Wisconsin. It is a special honor to be
designated as an IB World School, and Lincoln is a part of a growing team of
internationally-minded schools that provide students with quality
21st century college preparation in over 145+ countries.
Who can take IB DP classes?
Any student who is motivated to participate in stimulating classes is
welcome to enroll in Linocln's IB Diploma Program, either by taking the
complete IB Diploma Program curriculum or by choosing individual IB
courses in his/her area of interest. We encourage all students to try at
least one IB DP class during their junior and senior years at Lincoln so they can expand their minds and challenge themselves to the
While any qualifying student may take IB DP classes, only juniors and
seniors enrolled in an IB DP
class may take the exam for that class.
Diploma vs. Certificate
Students have the choice to pursue an IB Diploma, which is a full load
of IB DP courses from 6 different subject areas, or to pursue
certificates, which allows students to select IB DP courses that match
their strengths and interests. Diploma candidates
complete IB DP tests in 6 subject areas. They must also complete
Creativity, Activity, and Service requirements. In addition, Diploma
candidates take Theory of Knowledge and write an Extended Essay on the
topic of their choice.
The IB Diploma is recognized by colleges and universities throughout
the world for admission, advanced placement, and advanced standing.