Some of the most rewarding school experiences involve participation in athletics. Athletics provides opportunities for learning that are difficult to duplicate in other school activities.
Goals of Interscholastic Athletics
The MPSD athletics program has the following objectives:
- To provide opportunities for interscholastic competition
- To provide activities that create a positive school environment
- To teach positive health habits, proper hygiene, and safety
- To promote friendship, both with teammates and opponents
- To develop good sportsmanship
- To develop positive attitudes of team work, discipline, and cooperation
- To help student athletes realize that participation in interscholastic athletics is a privilege with accompanying responsibilities
- To foster self-discipline, loyalty, team play, personal pride, respect for the rights of others, and the desire to compete to the best of one’s ability
MPSD Athletic Mission Statement
The Manitowoc Public School District Athletic Department is dedicated to teaching student-athletes life lessons in a safe and welcoming environment. Student-athletes are expected to honorably represent their school and community while competing in athletic competitions. At the varsity level, athletes develop a synergy between enjoyment, working hard and striving for success. At the sub-varsity levels, athletes foster a love of the game and develop necessary skills to have success throughout the program. MPSD Athletics will embody a lasting attitude of discipline, sportsmanship, integrity, leadership, and social responsibility to make our athletic program an enduring source of pride.
MPSD Athletic Vision Statement
The Manitowoc Public School District Athletic Department will be a leader in the FRCC in dedicating itself to strive for success and sportsmanship on and off the field of competition. The Athletic Program is determined to increase student-athlete involvement and athletic opportunities for students, while creating a seamless athletic environment that provides enjoyment from youth athletic programs to varsity sports. Within this seamless environment the coaching staff works together to support each other’s programs while encouraging student-athletes to competitively participate in multiple sports.
Seven Pillars of Lincoln Ships Athletics
- Humility - Know who you are!
- Passion - Do not be lukewarm!
- Excellence - Strive to develop your talents!
- Discipline - Do what is right and proper!
- Unity - Do not divide our house!
- Servanthood - Make your teammates better!
- Thankfulness - Learn from each circumstances!
We encourage students to take advantage of MPSD athletic opportunities to get the most out of their high school and junior high school years.